Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 05:00:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Merging 2 servers?

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> > >	Does anyone have any advise about NIS, NFS, keeping two servers
> > >but replacing one, adding RAID (and booting from it, preferably) to the
> > >older server, or any other possible improvement?
> >
> > If you want to use NFS, make sure you move that 3.0-R box to something
> > more 3.3-STABLE, or even 3.4-RC since there have been fixed quite some
> > annoyances with NFS.
>
> 	Thanks.  I was planning on upgrading it once I had the time to put
> aside a full day for it, just in case something went wrong.
>
> > But what is exactly the situation you are wanting to go to?  Are you
> > looking for a more centralised means of administration?  That isn't
> > clear to me (then again my mind is foggy due to my cold).
>
> 	Well, for starters I'm wondering if I even need two servers.  What
> advantages would there be to keeping the students on a separate server
> than the staff?  I'm also wondering if it would be possible to make a less
> expensive configuration by merging the two servers into one.
> Specifically, if it might not be a better idea to move the staff to the
> newer server and just add a second big RAID-5 array for their home
> directories.  (Complain this to moving all functions of the older "staff"
> server to a completely new server.  I'm sure that the array would cost
> less than an array and a server, but would it be a wise decision in the
> long term.)
>
> 	Any suggestions?

One thought is that seperate machines help ensure teachers' privacy
in case they mess up permissions tests won't get leaked before
they're supposed to.

Then again having them all on one machine helps because students
and teachers could be put in class groups to allow them access
to common areas.

Perhaps keeping the split, but making sure that teachers have logins
on the student machine would be the most flexible, you can probably
use NIS to keep the passwords and account information sync'd
for the teacher accounts.

I think it's more what you want to do than anything, security
or co-operation.  A good reason for keeping both machines in
working order is redundancy, if one day one of the machines
fails you can just overload one of the machines until you can
get replacement parts.

good luck,
-Alfred