Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:01:04 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        kuba@lbl.pl
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: headset/sco support in freebsd

KubaTyszko wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:43:38AM -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>
>>KubaTyszko wrote:
>>
>>>hi all.
>>>
>>>anyone knows what is current status of using bluetooth headset as
>>>input/output for audio ?
>>
>>not supported yet
>>
>>>i was able to pair my month-old -current, create SCO channel, establish
>>>rfcomm connection, i even see AT commands that headset sends to me when
>>>i press button.
>>
>>well, yes. but you cant get any audio. this is because ng_ubt(4) does
>>not support usb isoc. transfers (assuming that you are using bluetooth
>>usb dongle). i have modified ng_ubt(4) and added support for isoc.
>>transfers, but i have not committed it yet. there is also a bluetooth
>>sco sockets layer to simplify programming api.
>>
>>>but i did not see anywhere something like bluetooth(sdo)-alsa support so
>>>that i could use it as "soundcard"
>>>is this possible in bsd ?
>>
>>not at the moment
>>

> thanks for reply.
>
> so, if you commit your patch, what will be left to do with audio ?
> a sound driver maybe ?

it depends on what are you trying to do. after these changes are
committed it will be possible to get a bluetooth sco socket and
send/receive sco data packets. if you plan to transfer audio then
payload of the sco packet should be encoded (a-law, u-law or cvsd) audio
samples (8, 13 or 16 bits).

how do you obtain and encode these samples or what are going to do with
them once you have recevied them is completely up to you. you may write
a special sound card driver or you may do something else.

thanks,
max