Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2016 23:34:29 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?Sm9zw6kgR2FyY8OtYSBKdWFuaW5v?= <jjuanino@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fetchmail service do not stop cleanly;it ignores TERM signal

Hi,

I have noticed that fetchmail service hangs in stop phase. I have the
following in rc.conf:

fetchmail_enable="YES"
fetchmail_users="juanino"
fetchmail_juanino_polling_interval=60

When I have to restart the service, it hangs forever:

# service fetchmail restart
===> fetchmail user: juanino
Stopping fetchmail.
Waiting for PIDS: 9284

The only way to stop the service is to send the INT (or KILL) signal:

# pkill -INT fetchmail

It seems to be that is ignoring TERM (or HUP) signal.

Ugly workaround:

echo "sig_stop=\"INT\" " > /etc/rc.conf.d/fetchmail

to force the INT signal instead of TERM.

The same issue applies to some other services as polipo. It is not
clear for me if this issue is freebsd specific. Any idea?