Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:57:05 -0500
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>, KDE-FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] New Qt-3

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 11:29:49PM +0200, Andy Fawcett wrote:
>On Sunday 05 January 2003 23:08, Pete Fritchman wrote:
>> ++ 05/01/03 13:06 -0800 - David Johnson:
>> | releasing 3.1.x in a couple of weeks. The state of Qt/KDE is
>> | "stuck" waiting the unfreeze of the ports tree (may already have
>> | happened) and the release of KDE 3.1.
>>
>> The tree is thawed somewhat, but larger ports (like KDE and Qt)
>> shouldn't be upgraded still until 5.0-R (which should be happening
>> soon).
>
>If you add to this problems building Qt 3.1.1, depending on certain
>combinations of installed X / Xft2 / fontconfig, which have not been
>thoroughly analysed, you can effectively forget an upgrade to 3.1.1
>right at the moment, even if a freeze wasn't in place.

Andy, 3.1.1 builds fine with up-to-date X and will be committed with
the kde 3.1 ports commits, unless there is a compelling reason not to.
I don't consider "older X versions (4.1) don't work" a compelling
reason. It does not use Xft2, it uses Xft that comes with XF86.

It will be committed as a separate port qt31 (that is a repocopy), so
that commit may happen earlier than 5.0R, although it will be dormant
until kde 3.1 is committed.

--
AlanE (Alan Eldridge), who likes fixing weird distributed systems bugs.
Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, desperately seeking employment in NYC.