Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:55:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to determine if cpu-cache is working?

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, at 12:59 [=GMT+0200], Toomas Aas wrote:

> > I am talking about a PII 300 MHz. The bios settings are OK for
> > cpu-cache. The machine is slower than a PI 75 MHz. It does not look
> > like hard disks. There is nothing in dmesg or messages that looks
> > weird.
> >
> > So how can I see whether the cpu-cache memory is functioning? Could it
> > be broken?
>
> memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) should be able to answer this. Even though it's
> main purpose is testing RAM, it also shows the information about L1 and L2 cache.

Thanks. I cannot really (or easily) use this though, as the box is
collocated, and not next door. If it would be here, I would
long have tried replacing hardware parts to see what it is.

I am now running memtest from ports. This gives no errors so far. But
it seems only to test the unused RAM.

I would have expected that the functioning of cache and RAM should be
visible in some utility like systat.