Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:37:48 -0500
From:      Spikeman <spikeman@myself.com>
To:        Greg Scott <gscott@guy.asimware.com>
Cc:        Matija Matijevac <mmat@twister.zrs.hr>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 x Network card

aye,,, I learned they suck the hard way also... I had a onbaord
ethernet die on me and i got a free 'asound' which has a RealTEK chip
set and it was fine till I tryed to do a trans on a lan and it took 6 mins with
the
stalling and the slow tran rate to move a half a meg file.... so I will/must
swap out a 3com out of another system just so I can get everything working
nicly.....  :-(

Greg Scott wrote:

> > Is it possible to plug in 4 x network card in one FreeBSD box and that all
> > that cards works.
> > I think to buy all same card (Realtek 8139).
>
> Avoid RealTek chipset cards.
>
> I recall a review I once saw on RealTek parts:
>
> "It was widely known that NE2000 type cards were the lowest form of
> quality for ethernet. We cannot believe it, but there is now a new winner
> for this category.. the winner is RealTek."
>
> I made the mistake of using a couple of RealTek cards in a some high use
> servers. Both had problems with just dying. They also had really high
> collision rates.
>
> Replaced the cards with a Dlink 530TX and an Intel 100+ card and that
> fixed all the problems.
>
> --
> Greg Scott                   Asimware Innovations Inc.
> Website Co-Ordinator         600 Upper Wellington St Unit D
> Network Administrator        Hamilton, Ontario, L9A3P9 Canada
> gscott@asimware.com          http://www.asimware.com
>
> PGP Key http://www.asimware.com/pubkey_gscott.asc

     ___
    /\  \ phase two of global domination in operation, hide all lions.
   /::\  \
  /:/\:\  \ Comments or Questions email spikeman@myself.com
/\ \:\ \:\__\ Spikeman      spikeman@myself.com
\:\ \:\ \/__/    http://www.spikeman.net
 \:\ \:\__\    Find Me On EFNET /whois Spikeman
  \:\/:/  /
   \::/  /      Friends are lights in winter;
    \/__/ The older the friend, the brighter the light.