Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:45:22 +0200
From:      "Manfred Riem" <mriem@win.tue.nl>
To:        <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Documentation proposal

Hi there,

I want to try to make the Java documentation on the FreeBSD website
a bit more usable. Currently the bits are a bit scattered around.

I propose to have following changes for the main page:

 - Moving "How can I help?" to the section called "Documentation".

 - Moving "I found a bug?" to the section called "Documentation".

 - Removing "Performance Comparison" as it is dated December 1999.

 - Adding a section called "Screenshots" to "Documentation".

 - Removing "Creating Ports" as currently not a real standard has
   been set. Follow up on the discussion recently held on the
   mailinglist.

 - Rolling up "Java Resources" into a page called "Links" and
   putting it into section "Documentation"

 - Moving "Tutorials" content from "Documentation" into "Links".

Am I right to assume the documentation is available on the CVS server,
so should I just go ahead and do the proposed changes myself and send
you guys the result?

And also some other thoughts:

 - Separate subdirectories for the releases 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4

 - A more clear definition for newbies on how to install Java from
   the sources (eg. tell them about the linux bootstrap).

Regards,

Manfred Riem
mriem@win.tue.nl
http://www.riaca.win.tue.nl/