Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:56:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Alternate CD Player

On 31-Mar-2001 E. J. Cerejo wrote:

[ KDE multimedia apps crashing ]

> Does anybody know any alternate CD players and MP3 players
> I can use instead of this KDE Crap?

The best CD player, IMHO, is xmcd.  One of the coolest things about it is that
it installs a command line, text-only app as well, called cda, which can be
used in all sorts of ways in scripts.  I've actually written my own CD ripping
script which takes advatange of cda's CDDB lookup capability to get the MP3 tag
info for a disc.

As for mp3 playback, you can't beat ol' reliable mpg123.  There are a number
of graphical frontends for it, such as gqmpeg, but again, like xmcd's cda, you
can do some nifty stuff with it in scripts, being command-line, text-only, like
cda.  For instance, I've written a very simple MP3 jukebox script in bash using
it. It can also convert MP3s to .wav files (e.g.,  for CD burning).

Personally, I've never cared for KDE or any of its "native" apps.  They all look
very nice and all that, but not much in the way of functionality/versatility.

--
Conrad Sabatier
conrads@home.com