Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:51:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de (Joachim Kuebart)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, titan@stuttgart.netsurf.de
Subject:   Re: VFAT16 or VFAT32 support in msdosfs?

> I asked a while ago, but I can't find the mail from the guy who's working on
> it...

The guy's name is Robert Nordier.

> Is there support for long file names in a FAT file system in FreeBSD-current
> yet?

VFAT?  Not "in FreeBSD-current" as far as I know.  He has distributed
beta code, and it might have been integrated (I haven't seen it, but
I haven't been looking very hard).

> If so, would it be possible (for the adventurous) to include that support in
> 2.2.2-release as well, say, by copying msdosfs.c?

If it's there, you could pound on it, I suppose.  There *are* differences
before and after the Lite2 merge that could make for some problems.  It's
mostly VOP_LOCK and ADVLOCK stuff.

> And does that code also support FAT32 already? (i.e., >65535 clusters)

Not as far as I know.  The disk layout for the VFAT32 is different; if
you are an MSDN developer at level II or better, there is full documentation
of the differences on the OEMSR2 beta release (which is the only release
which shipped with a VFAT->FAT32 conversion utility, AFAIK, though
Partition Magic is rumored to handle it now).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.