Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 04:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:    A peculiar port; advice requested ...

Hi,

I'm trying to make a port of Standard ML/NJ (an ML implementation from Bell
labs).  This is a somewhat unusual port, so I'd like to ask the list for
suggestions on how to tackle the porting process.  Names of ports which handle
similar issues will do fine!

Quirks:

1. While the official master site uses a ".tar.Z" suffix for most files,
   some of the mirrors use ".tar.gz" instead.

   Any nice way of handling this in the ports framework (short of writing
   scripts for the entire fetch process that is)?

2. The install process involves a recompilation of (a) the runtime system
   and (b) the SML/NJ standard libraries.  The default installation
   process expects to do this `in-place' in the final installation
   directory tree.

   I'm somehow not comfortable with a compilation under /usr/local as
   part of `make'; however is it acceptable?  Does any other port do
   anything similar?

3. Is creating a new hierarchy root say "${PREFIX}/sml-nj" ok?  The default
   installation expects "bin", "bin.${ARCH}", "lib"  etc. under
   this `ROOT'.  Changing the installation to confirm to a more
   conventional "/usr/local/*/" structure would make a FreeBSD SML/NJ
   installation different from the other unix installations.  Do
   we have a strict policy on directory hierarchies?

Thanks,
Koshy
<jkoshy@freebsd.org>