Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 14:25:18 -0600
From:      Paul Marsh <marsh@pegasus.BigSky.Net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kerberos Questions

For those of you that monitor comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, this is a repost
of a problem I posted there a number of days ago.  I'm attempting to install
kerberos on what is now the latest stable relase.  I was initially confused
by the FreeBSD handbook on kerberos, and attempted to build both kerberos,
and eBones.  Now I think I have things installed, but am running into other
difficulties.  I have a couple of more generic questions before I detail my
current problem.

   1)	Can someone give me some pointers to kerberos documentation, as it
	relates to FreeBSD?
   2)	Is there a kadmin and/or kadmind for kerberos, (I only see it in the
	eBones distribution0, or is it necessary?
   3)	How about kpasswd?  (I seem to have run across that one a number of
	times in my journies.  :-)

Here's a description of my latest problem.

I've gone through the process described in the handbook as far as I can.
(i.e. set up the /etc/kerberosIV files, kdb_init, kstash, kdb_edit with
principals = passwd and rcmd, and ext_srvtab.)  There was no kadmind, so
I proceeded to set up a user "newbie" with kdb_edit, (no instance, but
supplied a password).   I verified the user on the server with the kinit,
and klist programs.

	cygnus# kinit newbie
	Kerberos Initialization for "newbie"
	Password:
	cygnus# klist
	Ticket file:	/tmp/tkt0
	Principal:	newbie@BigSky.Net

	  Issued           Expires          Principal
	Sep 26 13:18:53  Sep 26 21:18:53  krbtgt.BigSky.Net@BigSky.Net

When I try to login (as newbie), from a server running kerberos, I get an error
in my kerberos.log file, as follows.

	27-Sep-95 10:32:57 Getting key for BigSky.Net
	27-Sep-95 10:32:57 Initial ticket request Host: 205.138.104.123 User: "newbie"
""
	27-Sep-95 10:33:27 UNKNOWN "krbtgt" "BIGSKY.NET"

Anyone with any thoughts, or comments?   Thanks in advance.   -Paul Marsh-