Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 09:57:08 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tidiness or kernel bloat? (was: Support for bootable Vinum file systems: please review)

In message <20000508083331.A61488@freebie.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey writes:

>>> Can you make an alternative suggestion?

>You're not very strong on reasoning here.  You don't answer my
>question:

Because one of them is *only* intended to care about statistics.

Pretty soon you might see devstat track statistics for all logical
disk, ie:  ad0s1a, ad0s1b, ad0s1, ad0, and you may see it integrated
more into the disk mini-layer.  None of these changes would affect
other users of devstat (except provide more detail) but all of sudden
vinum would need magic fixes to only look for whatever types of devices
vinum wants to look for.

>Your only objection appears to be:

>Devstat is already available in userland.  What more opening up are
>you talking about?  You approach appears to only add to kernel bloat.

1. You are not trying to access it from userland.

2. The userland access is a well-defined API.

3. You want to open the implementation to your can grovel around in
   the entrails of devstats implementation.

If you insist on this gross hack, the very least you could do was
to add a couple of functions to the devstat code rather than pull
all the internals into daylight.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe