Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 20:13:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Matthew Sharlot <matthew@federal.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Hmm!

On 08-May-98 Matthew Sharlot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently set up my own name server and have a couple of queries.
> Firstly, since having set up the ns, I cannot get communicator 4.05 to
> run properly unless I have first established a PPP connection. What
> happens is that I get amessage saying that communicator is already in
> use along with a load of blurb about a lock file, when I know damn well

Check if there is a symlink in ~/.netscape/ named lock and pointing to
your IP (xx.yy.zz:port)
Delete if needed.

> that I haven't started the process at all and when I try to kill the
> process that it says it is running under I get told that there is no
> such process. After I've clicked OK to start it communicator seems to
> hang and I cannot even kill the process. I also get a message

Probably name-service request. This bites me since netscape-3.0.
This bastard just wants to look up netscape.com
If this is the case, just wait till the request times out and then set it
to start with blank page.

> /etc/spwd.db: Invalid argument. Any suggestions? I know it isn't  a big
> problem, but it means that I have to be online all the time I'm writing
> e-mails which isn't very cost effective.

Dont know about the spwd.db-thing (no idea).

> Secondly, I assume that having set up the ns there must be a local cache
> of addresses somewhere, to save having to look up the same addresses
> again and again. Any idea where this is and whether it is readable or
> not? I really just want to see that what I have set up is working
> correctly. I have deleted /etc/resolv.conf to make sure that I'm not
> using my ISP's name servers and everything seems to work O.K. I just
> really want a final bit of reassurance.

bind (named) does this by default.
Your named.boot file may contain a line "cache . <some-file-name>" which hints
named to a file with pointers to root-domain-servers. Chaching of lookups and
resolved requests is done by default but not saved anywhere, except for
secondary domains.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>