Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:16:44 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 02:01:52PM +0100, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
> > Thank you for being apparently one of the very few people who
> > actually understand this point. :(
>
> Actually, I'm sure many people understand this point. However, our efforts
> must be targetted at forwarding our own alternative. If we're content to
> just see someone provide an alternative, and fail to pursue our own
> agenda, our alternative will disappear.

FreeBSD will not disappear as long as we continue using it.  While I
would like to see as many other people happy and free and possible, I
am content being able to do _my_ job.  FreeBSD is free software.  If
Walnut Creek goes away, the software is still available, and anyone
can still pick it up and make improvements.  There may be people who
work on FreeBSD only because they are being paid by WC, but that is
not the only motivation out there.

As for the other interpretation of your comment, there is a very
_positive_ aspect of Linux running on IBM computers that I'm sure some
people would prefer not to admit.  Linux is GPLed software.  If IBM
has to change Linux to work with their hardware, they have to publish
the source code.  This means that we will have access to it.  It is in
IBM's best interest to provide open, standards-compliant hardware
(they haven't learned from MCA?), but whether they realize that or
not, their decision to support Linux will document any idiosyncrasies
in the form of source code.

One other thought.  IBM seems to want to provide choices.  I remember
reading that they intend to provide a choice of Windows NT, OS/2,
Linux, or AIX.  I seem to remember reading on this list that FreeBSD's
only obstacle is that there are some incompatabilities which are being
resolved right now.

This whole attitude that we can't coexist peacefully with Linux is
annoying.  Particularly when it mutates into "whatever Linux does,
let's do the opposite".  (They're using GNOME, so let's use KDE.. huh?)
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/