Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:56:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Paje da Oca <root@maloca.oca.org.br>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "passwd" broken on 4.2-RELEASE?

Paje da Oca <root@maloca.oca.org.br> types:
> After installing (twice!) 4.2-RELEASE, I could not
> get the commands "passwd" or "chsh" to work. They
> simply "freeze", until interrupted with CTL-C.
>
> Am I missing something, or those commands are broken?

I'd be surprised if they were broken. The binaries you installed may
be corrupt on your system, but that's a different problem.

With no more information than that, it's hard to suggest anything
(unless you've seen this problem before, which I haven't). Try
gathering more information. Minimally, typing the status character
while they are "frozen" will tell you what they are doing. Compiling
and installing versions with the -g flag and without stripping the
binary will allow you to use gdb to grab the process and tell you
where they are doing it.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.