Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:43:24 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [sarumont@sigil.org: Re: fprint (finger print sensor framework) port ready for testing]

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:19:07 -0500
Richard Kolkovich <sarumont@sigil.org> wrote:

> Forgot to reply to all...
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Richard Kolkovich <sarumont@sigil.org> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:19:09 -0500
> From: Richard Kolkovich <sarumont@sigil.org>
> To: Simon Barner <barner@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: fprint (finger print sensor framework) port ready for testing
>
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:07:40PM +0200, Simon Barner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did a port [2] of the fprint finger print sensor framework [1]
> > and would like to receive some feedback before I commit it.
> >
> > It comes with a PAM module for finger print based authentication, a
> > graphical (fprint_demo) and a console (pam_fprint_enroll) application
> > for finger print enrollment.
> >
> > I did my tests with the UPEK sensor found in Lenovo's T61.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > (M'fup2 ports@)
> >
> > [1] http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Main_Page
> > [2] http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/fprint.tar.gz
> >
> > --
> > Best regards / Viele Gr??e,                             barner@FreeBSD.org
> >  Simon Barner                                                barner@gmx.de
>

> Anyone had success with this on the T43p?  fprint_demo doesn't detect any devices.  The kernel sees it as follows:
>
> ugen0: <STMicroelectronics Biometric Coprocessor, class 0/0, rev 1.00/0.01, addr 2> on uhub2
>
> From the looks of it, the STM device is not supported by fprint, but I can't find anything online that confirms or denies this.

hi Richard,

my Thinkpad z60m seem to have a similar chip:

/usr/home/betom
$ dmesg -a | grep STM
ugen0: <STMicroelectronics Biometric Coprocessor, class 0/0, rev 1.00/0.01, addr 2> on uhub2

usbdevs -v
[...]
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 100 mA, config 1, Biometric Coprocessor(0x2016), STMicroelectronics(0x0483), rev 0.01
[...]

I have fprint_demo 0.4 installed and it detects it properly. Have you tried running as root? i think there may be some access issues to certain devices that can get in the way...

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Never take Life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway.