Date:      06 Nov 1999 19:33:46 +0100
From:      Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stupidfs - easily extensible test file systems?

julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer) writes:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Jan Pechanec wrote:
> >
> > 	BTW, don't you know why deadfs was written? No doc in FreeBSD.
> > From what I saw in the source code, operations just fail.
> >
> When youhave a vnode open, and for some reason the filesystem the vmode
> pints to disappears (e.g. the disk is removed, or the PC-CARD is removed,
> or many other posibilties), then you cannot track down all teh users fo
> that vnode very easily, so insteadm you 'fiddle' with it to make it
> reference the DEADFS (use VGONE) and when the users try use it again they
> will safely get an error, but at least the system will
> not core-dump when they access a non existant filesyste,/device.

I guess deadfs is what makes the -f (force) flag to umount work
also, and that one is a truly great feature in FreeBSD missing in
many other unixen (e.g. solaris {and linux, I believe}).

Having to track down all processes with open descriptors on e.g.
a nfs mount before being able to umount it is a real pain in the *,
most times I give up on it and reboot the machine instead.

      _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se