Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:02:23 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Nikolay Denev <nike_d@cytexbg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Josh Moore <jmoore@devalias.io>
Subject:   Re: Set arbitrary protocol for route?

Nikolay Denev wrote this message on Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 19:33 +0200:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Ok, so how does the whole protocol thing implement priority?
>
> Ah, sorry, reading again I don't think it does that. For some reason I
> was under the impression it does.
> So, it looks like it's just a 8 bit tag applied to each route, not
> involved in the actual routing, but allows you
> to filter when displaying etc.
> >From linux ip-route(8) man page :
>
>        protocol RTPROTO
>               the routing protocol identifier of this route.  RTPROTO may be a
>               number or a string from the file /etc/iproute2/rt_protos.  If
>               the routing protocol ID is not given, ip assumes protocol boot
>               (i.e. it assumes the route was added by someone who doesn't
>               understand what they are doing).  Several protocol values have a
>               fixed interpretation.  Namely:
>
>                       redirect - the route was installed due to an ICMP
>                       redirect.
>
>                       kernel - the route was installed by the kernel during
>                       autoconfiguration.
>
>                       boot - the route was installed during the bootup
>                       sequence.  If a routing daemon starts, it will purge all
>                       of them.
>
>                       static - the route was installed by the administrator to
>                       override dynamic routing. Routing daemon will respect
>                       them and, probably, even advertise them to its peers.
>
>                       ra - the route was installed by Router Discovery
>                       protocol.
>
>               The rest of the values are not reserved and the administrator is
>               free to assign (or not to assign) protocol tags.

If that's the case, a simple man route would have found the answer:
     -proto1    RTF_PROTO1     - set protocol specific routing flag #1
     -proto2    RTF_PROTO2     - set protocol specific routing flag #2
     -proto3    RTF_PROTO3     - set protocol specific routing flag #3

Not as many as Linux, but I do believe some of the routing daemons use
this flag to know what routes it can delete or not...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579