Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:02:57 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALPHA Multia and FreeBSD 4.3-RC

On 2001-Apr-08 19:19:49 +0200, "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
>First: I have no access to the console!

The builtin TGA is not supported yet.  It is currently being worked on
and you can find a work-in-progress tarball against 4.2-RELEASE in
http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/TGA/tga.tar.gz

Your current options are to either use a serial console or to install
a VGA-compatible graphics card.

>Second: I tried to make a world. Due the fact the machine is really slow
>it took a long time from starting the first make  world up to the
>point it failed. My Multia reboots spontanously and shows me the console,
>awaiting the boot command.

Multia's are notorious for suffering heat-related problems.  It is
essential that it be run vertically, with the fan at the top.  You
might also like to replace the fan with one that actually moves air
as well as replacing the 74F623 (see
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/multiafaq.html for more details).
The power supply is also quite marginal and if your HDD is internal,
you might like to consider mounting it externally (with an external
power supply).

I also found that one of my cache chips was a bit slow and I needed
to change the L2 cache timings to make my Multia stable.  Note that
the SRM does not enable ECC on the L2 cache by default.

> What's up with the Alpha?
Basically DEC stuffed the design of the Multia.

Peter