Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:42:11 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Putinas Piliponis <Putinas.Piliponis@hansa.lt>
Subject:   Re: Could ARG_MAX be increased?

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a

On 2004.09.23 21:46:48 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-09-23 14:28, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
> > I have nothing against the idea of increasing the value of MAX_ARGS,
> > as long as people realize that increasing it will not solve the issue
> > for all situations.
>=20
> Yeah.  I think the real answer is to learn about find as you and others
> have suggested.

While it is correct that find is the best solution e.g. when
scripting, it can be a PITA e.g. when moving a lot of files that you
have to use find/xargs instead of simply "mv bla.*.1 dir/".  I know
how to use find, but it takes somewhat longer to type...

Just my 0.02(insert local currency).

Anyway, I'm probably just going to bump MAX_ARGS locally on my next
world rebuild :-).

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team