Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 07:07:44 +0200
From:      Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@arcor.de>
To:        "Max Laier" <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi-firmware-kmod and iwi-firmware

Hi Max,
Thanks for your reply.

On Tue, 16 May 2006 01:22:58 +0200 (CEST)
"Max Laier" <max@love2party.net> wrote:

> > I know how to use iwi-firmware but how does iwi.firmware-kmod
> > relate?
> >

> > Currently, iwi-firmware is quite unreliable in the sense that after
> > resuming my laptop and restarting wpa_supplicant I often get panics.
>
> Newer versions of the iwi(4) driver require you to use
> iwi-firmware-kmod (iwi-firmware won't work anymore).  Those drivers
> utilize the firmware(9) framework to load the firmware.  Together
> with other changes (at this time only available in CURRENT) this
> makes iwi(4) much more stable.  You should be able to use
> sys/dev/iwi/* from CURRENT in RELENG_6 to get the changes. MFC is
> planed, but more testing is required and encouraged.

Ok, I'm running 6.1 STABLE and I copied over from sys/dev/iwi/*

Do I still need iwi-firmware in order to run iwi-firmware-kmod or can
the kernel modules iwi_bass and firmware be used independently? If so
I'm wondering how to specify the connection parameter which are now
in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.

--
Manfred