Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 06:35:05 -0400
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   System Tuning/Sysadmins

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
wrote:

>     Why are you assuming that tuning takes a lot of effort?
One good
> sysop
>     is all you need.  One man-week and then you are done.
That's it.
> If your IT department isn't up to the task then maybe you
should consider firing
them.

> 						-Matt

Matt --

Try and find good Unix folks these days.
I'm in Holmdel, New Jersey and even with AT&T and Bell Labs
laying off tons of folks Unix trained sysadmins with more than a
minimal exposure to Linux or Unix are impossible to find.

Let's get real.  Universities and Colleges are not training
Unix sysadmins.  They're not getting trained in tech schools --
which are turning out Cisco and Windows certifications galore.

The type of person who mucks with systems for fun is rare and
often you just can't find them when you want them. (Want to work
here in New Jersey at Ureach... send me resumes)

That's why Solaris and SVR4 has gotten easier to tune.  AT&T
made a decision to have the boot -r reconfigure /dev and do the
MAKEDEV automatically.  Edit /etc/master and rebuild the kernel.
Heck no, run this gui-like tool and we'll rebuild it for you and
you can skip all the headaches... we'll even update the boot
pointers to the new kernel for you.

It's been a long time since I built Xelos on a Concurrent 3230
box... I remember compiling and linking the kernel in a ram disk
in order to begin the process of loading the stuff to disk.

Most folks forget just how Admin-unfriendly Unix was back in the
bad old days.  Need a new device driver -- rebuild and relink
everything -- no demand loading of drivers.  Compare this to
proprietary vendor OS's of the time.

Easier tuning would not be a bad thing... just it's a shame what
passes for Admin and Operations staff these days.

Most of these guys couldn't add a user to Solaris without
useradd and admintool.

Let 'em just try it with vi... and watch the fun.
Some don't know the difference between /etc/inetd.conf and
/etc/services.

--Bill
pechter@ureach.com