Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2017 06:34:15 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synth and circular dependencies

from Jonathan Chen:

> On 22 August 2017 at 15:17, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net> wrote:
[...]
> > I really need to be able to see the options in a better way than the FreeBSD ports framework allows, like in a file /etc/mk.conf (pkgsrc) or USE= ... as in /etc/make.conf (Gentoo portage).

> > Dialog4ports is better than the previous dialog but not as good as seeing in a file mk.conf or make.conf .

> > Otherwise, I don't really know any elegant way to fix the options mess I got into.

> Any reason why don't you can't all your options into /etc/make.conf?
> I've never used /var/db/ports options as they're not easy to review in
> one go.

Going through /var/db/ports is a recipe for insanity.

from Don Lewis:

> It is possible to set the options for ports in /etc/make.conf.  That is
> how I handle it would poudriere which looks for make.conf files in
> /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d and can use make.conf files that are specific
> to each jail, ports tree and ports set (poudriere -z option to specify
> the latter).

> Specifying the options in make.conf also makes it easier to set options
> globally for all all of the ports that you build so they are consistent.
> For instance I specify these options globally:

> OPTIONS_SET=CUPS APPLET OPENBLAS OBLAS SZIP LETTER GUILE2 GSSAPI_NONE KRB_NONE
> OPTIONS_UNSET=GUILE1 NETLIB REFERENCE GSSAPI_BASE KRB_BASE KERBEROS

> Port-specific options can be set like this:

> graphics_gimp-help_SET=EN
> graphics_gimp-help_UNSET=ALL

> Back when I still used portupgrade, I found that dialog4ports got to be
> really frustrating.

What is the priority when /var/db/ports is present, which takes precedence?  Should I delete /var/db/ports or /var/db/ports/* ?

The ports dialog prior to dialog4ports would always mess the screen whenever I made a log file with tee (just as bad with script).  Dialog4ports avoided messing the screen.

It was very disconcerting when I would do a massive portupgrade before going to bed and subsequently find portupgrade stopped for an options dialog.

I believe Synth and poudriere have no means for setting options.  That should be enough impetus to make it easier to bypass the dialog4ports entirely.

(NetBSD) pkgsrc has a file options.mk in each package entry where there are options.  One can run "make show-options" and "make show-depends-options" to see options for main package and dependencies.  I like it better than "make showconfig-recursive".

Now for FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE installation, I will have to redo the options into OPTIONS_SET, etc, and either delete /var/db/ports (a horrible mess now, so nothing to lose) or move it out of the way.

Another advantage of putting options in make.conf or mk.conf is that the file can be copied or edited from another FreeBSD or NetBSD installation.

Tom