Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:45:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Adaptec 1522 Scuzzi

I would guess that the BIOS on that card is too old to properly deal
with the large disk drive.  If you can round up a 500MB or smaller
SCSI disk try putting that on the card at SCSI id 0 and the larger
disk at ID 1.  Another trick is to disable the 1522 BIOS totally
and boot from an IDE disk.

Once the FreeBSD kernel is loaded and the aic driver is loaded, you don't
use BIOS and your fine.  But before that time the system must get it's
info from the BIOS code on the 1522 card and if I remember the original
1522's could only speak Cylinder/Head/Sector.  I know that I've had problems
with older 1522's and boot disks larger than 500MB.