Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 13:40:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: resume-to-disk / incorrect default chosen by boot menu

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:

[when powering-on after a hibernation (suspend to disk)]

> When I power up again I get the familiar FreeBSD boot menu, prompting
> which partition to load.  Now, *IF* I select the partition which
> has been set aside for the suspend-to-disk feature, I will get a
> screen "resuming from disk" (or similar wording) for about one minute,
> and then the system is up, with the same state (procs, windows etc.)
> that it had before suspending.

This is a really strange behaviour, however, seems to be unrelated
to FreeBSD or any boot loader.

Most of notebooks I have seen with Phoenix NoteBIOS clones
have either separate partition or file on a FAT partition
for hibernating.

BUT if the system was suspended to disk (hibernated)
the BIOS always recognizes this and restores the system
to its previous state _without_ giving MBR the chance
to show up.

Perhaps your BIOS is stupid enough to boot some artificial
code from the save-to-disk partition and THEN restore
everything, but how come this would work in an unfortunately
tipicaly Win95-only FAT configuration? Does your BIOS
rely on a very special Master Boot Record doing the job?

What BIOS is this?

(hm, wondering if this still belongs to -stable)

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>