Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:00:52 -0500
From:      Jud <Jud@operamail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Hamilton Hoover <hamilton@twopoint.com>, xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
Subject:   Re: installing freebsd from windows nt without using boot disks

Xavian MacPherson wrote:

> i tried to install xfree86 version 4.0
> after having first installed version 3.3.6 or whatever it was that was the
> base package.  after trying to do that, i nolonger had use of the
> x-terminal.  i tried to remove the version 4.0, but i got nowhere with that.
> i didn't want to erase everything that i had installed, just to start all
> over again.  i had downloaded over 8 GB's of software from the web. i did
> not want to go through that all over again.

I'm a newbie, having never used Unix or Linux before installing FreeBSD 2
months ago on my home computer.  The only other OSs I've installed are W95 and
W98.

Hamilton's suggestion about learning from the mail list is a good one.  I've
asked some mighty dumb questions and received helpful responses.

Something else that would help is to invest $40 (or $25 if you subscribe) with
Walnut Creek CD-ROM to get a set of FreeBSD CDs, if you don't have a burner to
make a CD when you download.  I figured that, being a newbie, I'd have my
share of screwups, and I didn't want to leave myself in the position of, as
you say, having to download GBs of software all over again in order to fix
them.  I had a similar problem with XFree86 4.0 (which from what you describe
really seems to have caused the trouble rather than FreeBSD), but was simply
able to reinstall 3.3.6 from the CD, and the system worked fine again.

Jud