Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 23:54:42 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Elden Fenison <efbsd@moondog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jesper Gertz <j-og-j@mail.dk>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 RELEASE and fresh ports

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:54:10PM -0700, Elden Fenison wrote:
> * Jesper Gertz [05/21/2002 14:16]:
> > On my 4.5 RELEASE I have installed the ports hierarchy  from RELEASE CD=
ROM.
> > Am I then supposed to upgrade my 4.5 RELEASE to 4.5 STABLE ?
>=20
> It's seems that no one has answered this, so I'll give it a shot. The
> answer is no... the operating system source tree is completely separate
> from the ports tree. You can leave your operating system source at 4.5
> release and still cvsup your ports tree daily. There is a great tool in
> ports called "portupgrade"... it is great for installing and upgrading
> ports... and also notifying you when you have installed ports that are
> out of date.

Not quite.  The ports collection only officially supports -stable and
-current, so you may run into problems from time to time if the ports
collection starts making use of new features introduced into newer
versions of the OS.  This doesn't happen very often, but it does
happen.

Kris

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--