Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:58:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@mediaone.net>
To:        Jeff Neuffer <jneuffer@nscom.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User Authentication other than /etc/passwd

I just got my BSD 4.3 box to authenticate off a Shiva Radius server the
other day.  It was quite easy and extremely simple to set up.

Look into pam_radius, and man -k radius will give you a few good docs.

However, on the radius server, you must add the BSD box any access control
list it uses in order to authenticate properly.

- Scott

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Jeff Neuffer wrote:

> Hello,
> Is it possible to have FreeBSD use any other authentication methods for
> users other than "/etc/passwd"?
> We have many FreeBSD systems and it would be nice to have the user base
> managed from one "table/database".  For instance... LDAP?  Or even Radius?
> I read the man page for "passwd" and I see that "ypasswd" is mentioned and
> NIS.  Would NIS and ypasswd be a better management system for 5,000 users?
>
> Jeff Neuffer Jr.
> Data Services Technician/CCNA
>
> North State Communications
> Data Services