Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:37:33 +1000
From:      Peter Brown <rendhalver@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   new cvs based port idea

hi all

i have been toying with the idea of writing a port for mozilla using
cvs to get the source instead od having to download the 25+ meg bzip
on each upgrade.

having to download a 25+ meg file for mozilla each time is begining to
annoy me, especially when a cvs version would make it quicker.

the idea i had is as follows

rewrite the port so that it does a cvs -z3 update -r "RELEASE_TAG"
when the version changes.

i also thought of submitting the patches to the mozilla developers
that would make updating the port a simple matter of updating the
PORTVERSION as the CVS tag will be based on that.

i also with to put switches in to disable the mail/news portions of
mozilla or having it not build them by default to make the port
smaller and quicker than the 5-6 hours it currently takes to build on
my machine. i realise this will change the pkg-plist file, i will
workout how that can be split into sections.

i have not completed my port yet but i will submit it when i believe
it is ready, whick should be soon (2 weeks maximum).

i am basing this version on 0.9.5, i figured it was a good place to start.

comments/assistance are welcome.

Peter (Rendhalver)

XEmacs Advocate
Perl Hacker
Apache God
FreeBSD Devote

rendhalver@users.sourceforge.net

do not try and bend the spoon, thats impossible.
but try to realise the truth.
and that is?
there is no spoon.

- Neo and child Prodigy