Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 00:44:40 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

> > It's a very short step from there to a semi-graphical login (eg. login
> > dialog rather than login/password prompt.)  I could see people liking
> > that.
>
> Good point, although the graphical login window is really best handled
> by xdm, and I don't really see people wanting a graphical login window
> being requested without a full graphics system (ie, X).

I just thought it would look "pretty".

> Okay, let me get opinions:
>
> * What do people want?  I see a couple of possibilities:
> 1. A graphical idle screen that shows things like fractals or bitmaps
> with rotating palettes,

This is commonly called a "screensaver".  I would suggest that any
effort in this direction be focussed on providing an interface for
graphical screensavers.

> 2. Something that shows some useful system stats (number of users,
> system load, memory usage), possibly floating on a 'pretty'
> background,

Just another case of 1.

> 3. Something that shows just a login window

Kinda makes it seem fairly pointless, doesn't it?  Given that you have
to deal with forking off login and all that, it stops being attractive
fairly quickly.

> * Is this really going to be the best way to go about it?

No.  Reflection doesn't really indicate that.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\