Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 21:27:57 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "John R. LoVerso" <loverso@sitaranetworks.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

In message <199906041824.LAA29444@implode.root.com>, David Greenman writes:
>>In message <37580F03.88EFB07A@sitara.net>, "John R. LoVerso" writes:
>>
>>>But, consider going back to the discusssions leading up to the Host Requirements
>>>RFC (1122).  The particular problem was that the original timeout value for
>>>keepalives was tiny (a few minutes).  1122 dictated the corrections for this.
>>>Here are the important points from section 4.2.3.6:
>>
>>But RFC 1122 pretty much entirely predates the "modern internet user".  While
>>I fully supported the policy back then, I no longer do.
>>
>>I still think the right thing is:
>>
>>	default to keepalives.
>>	set the timeout to a week.
>
>   I don't support increasing the default timeout. That would cause problems
>for a lot of server systems that rely on the relatively short two hour default.
>The best I think you could do would be to increase it to something like
>12-24 hours as a default, but even that might be problematical.
>   Actually, I think we should leave it alone. I don't mind if people add an
>rc.conf variable, however.

First of all, our current default is not two hours, but to kill
after 4 hours idle followed by no response for 20min:

	net.inet.tcp.keepidle: 14400
	net.inet.tcp.keepintvl: 150

So anyone depending on two hours are screwed already.

How about this then:

	net.inet.tcp.always_keepidle: 86400	/* new variable */
	net.inet.tcp.always_keepintvl: 64800	/* new variable */
	net.inet.tcp.keepidle: 14400
	net.inet.tcp.keepintvl: 150
	net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: 1

This will have all sockets have keepalives, but if the program
specifically sets keepalives, it gets the shorter timeout.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!