Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:53:07 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPsec painful setup...

I've got a situation where I'm trying to set up an IPsec ESP tunnel
to a box that's on the far side of a NAT box.  I've successfully set
up an IPsec tunnel to my box at home, but it's smart enough to have
a routable IP address on one interface, unlike this other situation.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying; maybe someone can help:

      (internal net A)  (DSL line)
 +---------+ | +---------+ |        +-------------+
 | FreeBSD | v |         | v        | Other IPsec |
 |   box   +---+ NAT rtr +-- inet --+   capable   +--- internal net B
 |  ("A")  |   |         |          |   router    |
 +---------+   +---------+          +-------------+

Because it's a DSL line from the NATing router, I can't just hook up
the network interface with the routable address to box A.

The starting configuration is pretty much as described in the IPsec
mini-howto on DaemonNews.

So, the questions are as follows:

1.  What address should I configure the local part of gif0 with?  The one
    associated with the DSL line, or the (static) NATted address of box A?
2.  Same question, but in the SPD
3.  Will I need to consume an extra subnet for the internal address of
    gif0, or put it on internal net B's range (with a proxy arp), or ...?

I can't seem to locate anything that provides adequate clues in this
area; maybe I'm just SOL and need to upgrade the NAT rtr?

Thanks,

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32