Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:06:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        lrios <lrios@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux And FreeBSD

> Could someone please explain to me why a Linux 75 mhz machine kicks the
> hell out of a FreeBSD with a Pentium II 266mhz 256M Ram and two ultra-wide
> fast SCSI drives???

Complete and total misconfiguration would be my first guess.

> My linux machine puts out about 700 (locally)emails a minute while BSD
> only puts
> out about 200... my limits appear to configured properly.  My kernel

How are you testing this and what is generating these emails for the
purposes of the test?  What versions of FreeBSD and Linux?  Same
sendmail configuration on each?  To answer this question intelligently
would take a lot more data than you've given here, I'm afraid.

> What are the differences in memory managers between the two??

Let's just say that they're different enough that drawing comparisons
between them is probably not a meaningful exercise, nor would you guys
be likely to understand the results of such a comparison anyway.

> I've got a consultant here trying to get linux to do everything but with
> the numbers I'm seeing it's hard to stay loyal.. Please help!!

It's hard to help with so little information to go on.  It's also hard
to understand why you have someone working specifically on optimizing
the Linux box but have no one to help you configure the FreeBSD
machine with similar care.

				Jordan