Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:56:32 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Paul D. Schmidt" <pds@enteract.com>
Cc:        pds@uberhacker.org, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 2.2.8 -> 3.1

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 06:42:38PM -0600, Paul D. Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
> 	What is the exact process for upgrading a machine from a
> 2.2.8-RELEASE system to a 3.1-RELEASE system? I've heard several different
> things, some with cvs, some with downloading src.tar or something...  I've
> looked at the handbook and FAQ, but I haven't been able to find a
> definitive list of the steps you need to take.  I would prefer the CVSup
> method, but if I have to do it another way (I'm trying to avoid
> reformatting and doing a fresh install) I will.  When you upgrade in this
> manner, what happens to files like hosts.allow or other system config
> files that might be replaced?

Have a look where 3.1 is on the FTP site and read the *.TXT files,
especially the one about upgrading. Also look through the
freebsd-questions archive on the web site to see what others have been
saying. This leap is no simple upgrade.

If you have any questions about installation or upgrading,
send them to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.

Upgrading can cause big hassles if not done properly, and the last
thing we want is people discussing the procedure here, so please, if
you want to answer this send it to -questions only.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-