Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2016 11:41:50 -0500
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows Desktop OS only show one CPU on bhyve even though 2-4 are assigned

On 2016-12-05 05:22, Michael Braig wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have now setup Window Desktop OS based on 8.1 and 10, but also Windows
> Server 2012 R2.
>
> The latter correctly shows the amount of assigned CPUs. The Desktop OSs
> always only show one, but also have high CPU load with especially the
> Windows network service.
>
> Did anybody experience this as well, anybody who can advise me on how
> Windows will recognize the additional CPUs?
>
> I am using an HP ML110 G7 with Xeon CPUs.
>
> Regards
> Michael

This question has been answered before, in the last 2-3 months, if you
search the archive.

The short answer is that Windows Desktop OS only supports a single CPU
socket, optionally with many cores. The default in bhyve is to expose
each virtual CPU as a separate socket. There are a set of sysctls that
let you control this, so you can instead expose the 4 cpus as cores of a
single socket, and it will then work with Windows 8.1/10, but I don't
recall what they are off the top of my head, but they are in the archive
which you can browse here:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/

--
Allan Jude