Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:45:25 -0700
From:      Gary Schenk <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie lpd printing

This FreeBSD newbie has even learned  how to print! I'm using lpd to print and
it works fine from the console. I'm using an old Epson with the hpif filter
from the FreeBSD handbook, using uniprint as the device.

However, it does not work in KDE. I've read the KDE printing handbook, but
have not found much there.

It seems to be an input filter problem. My /etc/printcap file calls on hpif,
which does print text  files to the Epson just fine, yet the results I get in
KDE seem to indicate that the input filter is not working. Does KDE use
/etc/printcap?  Have I missed something in setting up printing for KDE?
Basically all I've done is click "print" in the application, choose lpd, and
ok.

I'm not good at scripts yet, so maybe that is the problem? Here is my input
filter file:

#!/bin/sh

# Treat LF as CR+LF

printf "\033&k2g" || exit 2

# Now read first two characters of the file to determine if PostScript or not
# and apply the appropiate massaging

IFS="" read -r first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then

        exec 3>&1 1>&2
        /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=uniprint \
                -sOutputFile=/dev/fd/3 - && exit 0

#
        /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=uniprint \
                -sOutputFile=- - && exit 0

        else
                echo "$first_line" && cat && printf "\033&10H" &&
        exit 0
        fi

        exit 2

Thanks.