Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:37:55 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: five networks

W. J. Williams wrote:
> I took offense to your beginning of what I understand and don't
> understand.  I apologize for not having thicker skin.

My only point was that your error was not in misunderstanding commands
or FreeBSD, but in routing itself.  It wasn't intended to offend, I
apologize.

> Still learning and will get there.  Thanx for your help, and I will use
> your notes to get there from here (I hope anyway).

You will.
Routing works basically like this:
Look at the output of 'netstat -rn'.  This is your routing table.  The
system tests routes from bottom to top.  When it sees one that matches
the criteria for the destination of the packet, it sends it by that
method.  You'll see different types of routes: for example, routes that
the system added automatically because it heard the machine on the local
network will have a MAC (ethernet card) address in the gateway column.
Routes to a subnet will have an entry in the first column of the form
172.16/24 which is a network number/netmask pair.  These are also added
automatically when you ifconfig a particular interface, based on the
IP/netmask you used.
You can also manually add routes of either form with the route command.
This allows you to route things that the system isn't able to determine
automatically.  For example, if you have both 172.16.0.* addresses and
192.168.0.* addresses on the same hub, you can tell this to the system
by adding a routing entry.
When all else fails (i.e. all other routes), the system will send the
data to the default route with the assumption that the default router
can figure out where to send it from there.  In the case of a network
like you describe.  The default router has it's own default router
configured, and simply forwards the data to it.  Now it's in your
ISPs hands, and you can only assume that they've got things configured
properly and the data will get where it's going.
In the case of a more complicated setup (such as a large ISP or otherwise
complicated network) you may have many, many routes that a default router
needs to remember.  You may also run something like Routing Information
Protocol, which talks to other routers to find out what routes they
service, and adds this information to the routing tables automatically.
routed is a program in FreeBSD that accomplishes this.  routed also
communicates the routes it knows about to other routers perieodically,
so everybody stays updated.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies