Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 02:16:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      a disembodied voice emerging from the chaos of reality <cjc26@cornell.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Pat Lynch wrote:

> Some of us are more fanatic about FreeBSD than you think, but fanatic in a
> different way, we don;t beat people over the head with it. We wear it, we
> use it, we speak about it, we are proud of it. The people ask, and we
> explain it. It works.

Hello, FreeBSD semi-newbie (been using it for 4 months) here.  I almost
hate to say this, but what you said above is pretty much the main reason
why I switched to freeBSD from slackware linux--because its supporters
don't seem to be foaming at the mouth :)  I know you shouldn't choose an
os based on the attitudes of the people using it, *BUT* it was getting to
the point where I couldn't stand the almost religious devotion of linux
supporters.  I was pleasantly surprised to find after testing it out that
FreeBSD also happens to be better designed and more consistent than the
myriads of linux distros.

So, my point is, by using linux marketing tactics, you not only might not
get the `market share' you want, you might also in the process scare more
thoughtful people away.  Besides, if the only people we can convert with
`evangelism' are clueless IT managers and teenage script kiddies, maybe
we're better off without them? :)

Cliff Crawford   http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
-><-            i   l i k e   o a t m e a l             )O(