Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:29:32 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-virtualization@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shmget and vimage

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 14:55:43 Milan Obuch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some time ago I built a multi network monitor using older version with
> Marko Zec's vimage patch. I am trying to port it to 8-STABLE (newer
> features, easier maintenance...) with partial success.
>
> Basically, I use shared memory as common data area across more vimages in
> order to be able to generate quick summaries from in-memory data. I was not
> able to get it running under freshly compiler 8-STABLE, error message is
>
> shmget: Function not implemented
>
> Has anybody any idea? Patch to test to enable use of shared memory in vnet
> jails?
>
> Regards,
> Milan

Forget to add...

In my code, I use

 if ((shmid = shmget(shmkey,sizeof(mdc),IPC_CREAT | 0640)) == -1)
  err(1,"shmget");

to create a shared segment and

 if ((shmid = shmget(shmkey,sizeof(mdc),0)) == -1)
  err(1,"shmget");

to get an id for already created segment.

Both are failing under non-root vimage jail, but it works under main host. At
first I thought shared memory is not yet virtualized, but ipcs display
existing segments in both root/main host and vnet jail.ipcrm, however, works
only in non-jailed host...

ipcrm: shmid(131072): : Function not implemented

Regards,
Milan