Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:02:24 -0800
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   locked up browsers and too many processes running?

I came across a bit of a problem a while ago - in netscape and opera both, I
tried to download a file from a site, but both browsers locked up. It was
just an image, nothing out of the ordinary. Netscape 6 (linux version) locked
X completely. I telneted into the box from another machine and was completely
unable to kill the process, or any mozilla related processes. The mouse would
move just fine, but clicking on anything would result in nothing happening. I
finally just hit ctrl-alt-bkspc to kill X altogether. I was still running top
via telnet and noticed that the processes did not go away, for mozilla or for
opera, or for a few other X apps that were open. I am still unable to kill
those processes. I have not rebooted and don't want to, shouldn't need to. In
top it shows almost 400 processes, 1 to 3 running, 6 zombies and the rest
sleeping. Is this okay? What should I do? Anything? (My boxes uptime is at
109 days and I really really don't want to reboot it.) :-)

--
Chip W.