Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2018 20:07:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>, ish@amail.plala.or.jp, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to use trim command ?

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 12:50 AM Rebecca Cran via freebsd-hackers <
> freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, 30 November 2018 17:36:01 MST Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > > 01.12.2018 6:56, Ian Lepore wrote:
> >
> > > newfs destroys data too, cat > /dev/da0 does this too,
> > > add the name "dd" itself does not imply data destruction.
> >
> > > Can you invent better name?
> >
> > 'discard'?
> >

> That's a good name. trim has the unfortunate collision with the perl 'trim'
> function and similar things that I didn't think of when I recommended it.
> It's also nicely technology agnostic.

That word is also used in other parts of FreeBSD in
similiar situations:
strip(1) - discard information from ELF objects
disc, if_disc(4) - software discard network interface
edsc, if_edsc(4) - Ethernet discard network interface
ng_hole(4) - netgraph discard node type

I was kinda suprized to see strip come up....