Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 00:37:10 -0700
From:      Elden Fenison <efbsd@moondog.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jesper Gertz <j-og-j@mail.dk>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 RELEASE and fresh ports

* Kris Kennaway [05/31/2002 23:54]:
> Not quite.  The ports collection only officially supports -stable and
> -current, so you may run into problems from time to time if the ports
> collection starts making use of new features introduced into newer
> versions of the OS.  This doesn't happen very often, but it does
> happen.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks very much for the info. :) I'm currently
tracking -stable, but am contemplating switching to -release after 4.6
is out. One reason for this is that the freebsd web site specifically
advises against "blindly" tracking -stable. And I'm afraid I'm not
nearly technical enough to be of any help reporting bugs other than
screaming HELP!!

However, your statement here is good reason to track -stable as I
normally don't let my ports get more than 24 hours out of date.

--

-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org