Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:32:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        phate1@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software bandwidth limiting solution

> ipfw add 10000 pipe 1 tcp from <my_ip> 80 to any
> ipfw pipe 1 config bw 5Mbits/s queue 10
>
> anyway you look at it, if it the limiting starts to work, I start to go up
> in mbufs.. I don't know who's responsible for it.. ?

nor do i. however: pkts do remain trapped into the send buffer of the
sender if they are not acked. maybe the bw limiting causes many clients
to restart a connection etc. etc. -- can you monitor (with netstat -na)
the Send-Q for active connections and see if the sum resembles
something similar to the total mbuf occupation ?

> So I have to remove the ipfw rule, before my mbufs go dangerously high, and
> as soon as I remove it, mbufs drop from 7500 or so to like 1500 (their
> normal)..

oh, so that would suggest that for some reason pkts remain trapped into
a pipe but never come out ... i will investigate the problem, in the
meantime if you can tell me the above it will help track any bug (also,
if i send you some patches, would you be able to test them ?)

	cheers
	luigi