Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:04:25 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the Promise 2300+ EIDE controller

> FreeBSD was on a 515MB HD with 1048 cylinders.. I tried it with LBA mode
> on and off. The FreeBSD partitions were at the front of the disk, so
> being past cylinder 1024 shouldn't have been a problem.

Well, that's still not assured if you create one big root partition;
then it's sort of a guess as to where it's going to stick the kernel
image.  It sounds to me like the BIOS is unable, for one reason or
another, to read your kernel image.  That's why it hangs.  You should
also definitely have LBA mode off.

Try this (with LBA off):

Install DOS on just a small (5MB or so) chunk at the beginning.  You
may find this chunk useful in the future anyway since you can put DOS
based diagnostics and such there.  Now install FreeBSD on the rest of
the space, allowing it to get the geometry from the DOS partition.

Let me know what happens.

					Jordan