Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2014 09:44:57 -0700
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD-ppc/ppc64 on emulators? [.iso based CD boot problems exist for PowerMac G5's too]

Hi Mark,

Just a guess, but you probably have more than 4GB RAM in those
machines, right?  If so, then you hit the same problem I've encountered
on my G5, which has 12GB RAM.  Nathan and I both speculate that it's
dropping into Open Firmware (we make extensive use of OFW), and then
messing something up, taking a page fault or something.  Off and on
we're working on the problem, taking the solution that Linux and Darwin
use, to cache all the OFW properties while in the loader, and hand this
off to the kernel (in our case, we'd format it as FDT).

If you have a debug kernel, you would see "KDB: Supported backend...."
and then it would hang.

- Justin