Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:36:39 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD_Questions FreeBSD_Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file system setup for new system - recommendations?

On Aug 8, 2004, at 9:04 PM, Darren Crotchett wrote:

> The other directory that tends to grow is /usr.  This is where all of
> your /home, /www and /ports directories are.  In other words, you put
> alot of
> stuff in /usr.  I never put anything in /root.  So, once the system is
> built
> it is nearly 100% static.

What I have suggested is that one move /home to its own filesystem out
of /usr so that user data is not intermingled with OS and utilities.

Uh, you know /root/ is the superuser's home directory and not the same
thing as "the root directory '/'", right?  :-)

/root/ is not a bad place to put a few little things such as a list of
critical files to feed to "tar -cI" to backup one's specific
configuration. /root/ *is* on the / partition so you don't want to put
much there.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net