Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:40:57 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
To:        Frank Steinborn <frank@ircnow.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, paulino.calderon@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Problem with shoutcast port

Frank Steinborn wrote:

>Paulino Calderon wrote:
>

>>I was trying to set up a shoutcast server on my freebsd 5.3 machine, for my
>>surprise there was alredy a port to it, so my only job was to cd to the
>>shoutcast port directory and make install, after that I wrote the
>>configuration file, chmoded it to the proper permissions, and ran it with no
>>warnings or errors, so whats the problem? It randomly crashes! the weird
>>thing is that no log file is created  and the only hint  it gives me is at
>>/var/log/messages  :  kernel: pid 27670 (sc_serv), uid 210: exited on signal
>>11.
>>Any idea of what may cause this problem?
>>

>I have the same issues on FreeBSD 6 too. Just use the Linux-version of
>Shoutcast from their webpage and use FreeBSD's linux compatibility.
>Solid as a rock here.
>
>HTH,
>Frank

Hello,

I'm the maintainer of the shoutcast port. As you probably know, it's a
binary port, since shoutcast is a closed-source application, so the port
do just some simple tasks: patching config file, creating a user for
shoutcast and installing the binary and the rcNG script. I think, the
problem is with the binary, not with the port, so I can't fix it. Signal
11 means segmentation violation. Anyway, can you try to install it
manually and check if it runs, please? All you have to do is to download
from the shoutcast website, extract and run with the default configuration.
If it fails, too, you might want to report it to the shoutcast team. If
it works, please write back to me, attach your config file and include
the output of "uname -a", so that I can llok at this problem.

Thanks,

Gabor Kovesdan