Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 22:49:20 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Jim Arnold" <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Subject:   Re: AMD761 or KT266A advice

On Sun, 19 May 2002 18:31:03 -0400, Jim Arnold wrote:

>After spending a lot of time researching various overclocking
>websites for motherboard reviews I'm not much better off
>than I was when I started.
>
>Most of these sites are geared towards Windows users who
>like to squeeze everything they can out of their systems to
>play games.
>
>I don't play computer games nor do I run windows (obviously).
>I Googled of these chipsets and freebsd didn't
>turn up much either.
>
>My current system runs on an Epox motherboard with
>a K6-3 400 and has been as stable as anyone could want.
>
>I'm curious to know if anyone is running either of these chipsets
>and would like to share their experience and which board
>they run. After my research I came down to these two boards
>for each chipset:
>
>Epox EP-8K7A for AMD761 Chipset
>Epox EP-8KHA+ for KT266A Chipset
>
>I'm wondering how much faster a KT266A board would be
>over an AMD761 chipset board, when, for example, it came
>to compiling the latest Mozilla or making my world. But my overriding
>concern is stability. I would be putting an Athlon XP 1500, 1600 or 1700
>in this system.

imho, I've had good luck with Abit boards and VIA chipsets.  You'll pay
more for the Abit, but i think it is a better board.  I really haven't
heard much about Epox.  I do know that my 1.0gHz Athlon with Abit board
works great under FreeBSD, and does a make buildworld in about 35
minutes.. ( i also have a gig of ram )

then again, i have a DFI board with an AMD k6-2 450mHz and it never
gives me a trouble at all.

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 7FEC 10AA 056B F8DE  AC1E 6965 FBBE 9601