Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:52:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Hummel <hummel@www.buffalostate.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Jim Power <jim-power@geocities.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Annelise Anderson wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Jim Power wrote:
> >
> > > 5.How many disk space is recommended for running a FULL version
> > > FreeBSD and many application?
> >
> > And all the source code, so you can rebuilt the system and the kernel
> > at will?  And the ports collection, so you can easily get and install
> > new programs?  X Window System, Star Office, Emacs? Maybe 1.5 Gb.
> >
> >         Annelise
>
> I have a machine on which I try
> do regular "make world"s
> and on which I have tried to build all the ports from scratch.
>
> I ran out of disk space..
> I have 3.5 GB on it..
> that's a LOT of software.. I only got about half way through the ports
>
> julian

This is probably more than what the average user would need to do. I'm
quite happy with 3 Gigs for my single user system.

I'm running 2.2-STABLE so I of course have full source, and I've installed
all the basic ports. I'm using about 28% of total capacity on /usr so I
have a comfortable buffer. I think Annelise's estimate is pretty close,
but I don't feel comfortable without plenty of extra space to grow into.
Of course, you could start off with about 1.5 and add more later.