Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:44:36 -0500
From:      Bob Ababurko <bob@phreakout.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   which hardware for db/app

Hello-

I have a chance of migrating hardware for our web/app/db configuration.
    Currently, I am running web and php on two loadbalanced Sun
Ultra2(2x300Mhz, 512MB RAM) running FreeBSD 5.3 with a SUN Ultra60 with
the same procs and RAM as the web,(2x300Mhz, 512MB RAM).  I am having
issues with the db running slowly at this time and do not really know
where to start to determine the cause or fix since I do not know much
about mysql.  I did have some issues with the db and ran isamchk to fix
errors on a few of the tables but since then it ha been running slow.
Can someone possibly show me to a resource that may be abe to help me
determine the issues that I am having as well as some possible tweeks
for mysql 3.23.58 server, which is what is running.  On the web/php
side, we have apache 1.3.31 and php4-4.3.8_2.

I also have hardware that I am gooing to posibly migrate these servers
to:  I have a dual AMD 2800+(2200Mhz) and an AMD 2200+(1500Mhz).  I am
wondering what I should use for what here.  I am not sure if O should
use the dual amd for the apache/php or the mysql.  If anyone has any
ideas on what would be the optimal setup with the given hardware then
please let me hear it.  I would appreciate the input.

thanks,
Bob